Making The Bed

To be frank with you, I didn’t make my bed for most of my life. I’m generally a comforter, no sheet, no superfluous pillow person anyway, so there were few moving parts in my bed situation and it didn’t seem like making the bed served much purpose. I digress. 

I’m proud to update you that the last ten years or so that I’ve become not just a daily bed maker, but the idea of having a clean house altogether is something that I take great pride in. I’d never thought I’d say that. 

Here’s what happened. Being a business owner, especially one like DEUCE, forces its hand on you. I personally don’t have a problem with clutter, but my business does. That key distinction of separation between myself and my business improved me in ways that rules or social norms could have for me.

How? Well, DEUCE is better than I am. That’s the point. It’s supposed to represent idealistic expression and a pursuit of excellence. So, of course, while I’m not a neat freak, the gym had to be. After all, DEUCE can’t afford for the customer to have a less than optimal experience, so it was always cleaner, more orderly, with more attention to detail than my house.

Interestingly, after practicing to be cleaner, more orderly, with more attention to detail for about ten years at work, I began to 1) see the utility in it and 2) have pride in those small differences. For me, “because my parents told me so” isn’t really a good enough reason to do anything, so I’ve got DEUCE’s representation of excellence to thank for my bed being made and the kitchen countertops being clean. Lord knows they wouldn’t be without it. 

4/28/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 5 rounds for quality of:
10 Landmine Push Ups
8 Landmine Rotations (ea)

Then, EMOM 12
Min 1: 5 Sumo Deadlifts
Min 2: 12 Inverted Rows
Min 3: :30 Hollow Hold

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 3 rounds for reps of:
Max Handstand Push Ups (with :03 Pause)
-Rest as Needed-

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
8 DB Flat Bench Presses
8 Supported KB Rows (ea)

Then, complete 3 rounds for time of:
15 Cal Row
12 Deadlifts (225/155)
20 Squats
12 Deadlifts
15 Cal Row
-Rest 2:00 Min-

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

EMOM 10
odd: 10 Plyo lateral tuck jumps over PVC
even: 5 Standing rotational med ball tosses (ea)

Then, perform 4 rounds for quality:
6 Front foot elevated split squats (ea)
12 Russian KB swings AHAP

Then, AMRAP 13
Buy-in: 500 single unders
———————————-
10 American KB swings (53/35)
5 1-arm KB Push Press – L
3 Burpee box jumps (24/20)
5 1-arm KB Push Press – R
3 Burpee box jumps