Play For Your Team

Identifying the “right” number of players to keep on a team is not something you can Google, but is something that matters more than you might realize.

Consider, for example, a soccer roster. Per FIFA rules, each team is allowed 11 players on the field at a time. However, when you also factor in that each team includes one goalkeeper + 10 field players, that a full game is 90 minutes – not including stoppage time or potential overtime – that only 3 substitutions are permitted per game, or that a player may not re-enter the field after being subbed out, you can probably begin to imagine how on a team with a larger roster, many players spend the majority, or even entirety, of a soccer game off the field. I don’t know about you, but the idea of being a player that never plays makes my blood boil.

As with conscientiously crafting your words to “best” communicate a message, per customized circumstances of context and relationships, it’s also useful to examine the size of groups you interact with, and in the same regard. Going back to the soccer example, a 15-player roster might thrive for younger age groups in the same way that a 30-player roster might thrive for a collegiate or professional team. As with much else in life, determining what’s “right” depends. 

Needless to say, this discussion is about evaluating how you can balance exclusivity with inclusivity, and vice versa, to perform… and at that, better.

Maybe you can relate to being a one-man or one-woman operation that has halted growth due to your individual limit and/or reluctance to build a team. Maybe you can relate to being someone that generally wants to invite everyone, and does, but rarely feels personally connected. Maybe you’re somewhere in between. Whatever the case, I encourage you to exercise a more critical lens on your level of engagement with a team, relative to your level of contribution.

We got a big world out there, with a helluva lot of teams. Be it personal or professional, small or large, short-term or long-term, I hope you choose teams you can play for. Though time on the bench – literally and figuratively – may be an inevitable part of being a member on a team, I hope you remember that the bench is a rest stop, not a destination.

All this, a long way of saying – it’s cool to be on a team, but it’s way cooler to play for one.

8/25/20 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

[Meet at Pan Pacific Park]

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

Make 4 attempts of the following for load:
:10 Front Rack Barbell Walk Out

5-5-5-5-5
1 1/4 Front Squats

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
5 Candlestick Negatives