Thinking You Can or Can’t; Brittle Business

When you think about the perfect mindset, what comes to mind? Is it positive self-talk? Is it believing you can do something? If I was cornered to answer what the ideal mind meant, I think I’d refer to exactly that. It seems like a mind that thinks it can be successful.

The problem with this is that it’s extremely fragile. Thinking is often hard to pin down, isn’t it? Oh, look a bird…

You see what I mean.

If this ideal mental state sounds like, “I think I can… I think I can… I think I can,” I guess that though you could say that these words are helpful, our mind may also be just split second away from wondering, “Maybe I can’t..” As much as I’d like to be an optimist, if we believe we can just decide to believe that we can then we have to, at least, consider that it’s just as easily and impactful for the thought that we can’t to creep into the mind, as well.

Do you know what the ultimate trump card is? Checkmate is when you can say, “I am.”

When you are being the way you’d hope to be, we can remove the tightrope walk of belief. Focus is like this. Confidence is like this. Strength is like this. There is no obscurity or guesswork when you’re in it. I think I can focus is no match for “I am focusing.” The answer to most desirable outcomes then involves participation in the act in the moment.

Mind blown.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

6/28/16 WOD

For time:

50 Box Jumps (24/20)

40 Kettlebell Swings (70/53)

30 Double Unders

20 Power Cleans (~70%)

10 Strict Pull ups