The Almighty “No Rep”

“No rep!”

We’ve all heard it. For many of us it’s the first time that our exercise has an element of referee, judge, or umpire. “You mean I don’t get credit for that?” Unlike getting a workout done at Bally’s, it’s our nature to hold specific standards in our training, because part of what makes our training effective is our ability to measure it. With out standards, it’s quite difficult to measure. Ipso facto, we judge our exercise. Take it or leave it.

These ladies led from the front and got together for a holiday workout in SD.

These ladies led from the front and got together for a holiday workout in SD.

The kicker here is that it’s almost always someone else who calls us out, right? My question, though, is that if someone else isn’t holding us accountable, then are we holding ourselves accountable?

Things happen in training, especially when the clock and competition are thrown in the mix. I’ve missed reps before and I do this for a living, so I know all of you have missed lockout on a push press every now and then, or hung a little high on a squat before. If the coach isn’t discounting that rep for you, are you?

My hope is that our coaches can do more for our students than simply referee workouts. You can get a well trained monkey to start the clock and check the depth of your squats. So, if we can spend a little less time being the judge of exercise and more time being your coach, I think we all win.

Next time you happen to miss your range of motion on a movement, I challenge you to be willing to “No rep” yourself. Happy training!

Logan Gelbrich

———————-

Thursday’s Workout:

AMRAP 6
1000m
Max Distance KB Rack Lunge (53/35)

-Rest 3 Minutes-

Complete the following for time:
KB Rack Lunge
1000m Run

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *