“Show and Tell Never Went Wrong”

I spent a considerable amount of time immersed in conversation with a local bar tender. Don’t judge. This guy is a master. He’s worked with renown chefs in award winning restaurants around the world. As a matter of fact, calling him a “bartender” can’t be correct. He’s probably more like a “Director of Beverage Curation and Imbibing Experiences,” or something.

In this conversation, he told me about his passion for his craft. There’s the creative process, there’s the research, execution, there’s getting recognized, there’s getting the job, there’s keeping the job, and he has it all. He made me a drink of all fresh ingredients that involved a blowtorch, select wood, hand peeled fruit zest, world class bourbon.. you get the point. It’s another level.

He said something that stayed with me. One of the world’s most renown chefs, José André, once told him, “When we were kids, show and tell never went wrong.” What he meant was when a six year old brings in his favorite toy or she brings in her pet there is no contesting the pure, unfiltered pride the children have in their items to show and tell their classmates about. It was always great. No one thought it was weird or uncool.

What was in front of me was a grown man unafraid to reveal with no filter for his pride in his drinks in front of me. It’s inspiring, and much better than the contrary. When you start dumbing down your pride for the things that keep you alive, cut it out and remember “show and tell never went wrong.” We need you to show us what you’re so proud of.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

5/10/16 WOD

1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Split Jerk

Then, complete 3 rounds for time of:

50 KB Swings (53/35)

30 Sit-ups

15 Push-ups

-Rest 2 min-