Performance: Chicken or the Egg

Never before have I felt more passionate about the idea that the longest road to any destination is to spend time looking for a short cut. There aren’t enough YouTube videos, supplements, coaches, books, or otherwise in the world that time will be better spent with than time spent doing that which you’d like to master. (That’s a big sentence. Read it twice)

Want to look like an athlete? Train like one. That’s it. Don’t look for another options. It’s fruitless.

Want to be strong? Do what strong people do. That’s it. Period.

Want to be successful? Mimic those that are successful. It’s that simple.

I understand the amusement and wonderment, but consider the logic. Wishing to be strong, for example, and spending my time researching programs and fiddling with supplements are just distractions to the fact that I need to spend a ton of time moving heavy things. So often I see people with clear end goals and actions that are in disagreement with each other.

So, which comes first? Is it the chicken or the egg? Using our same example, are strong people able to move heavy things? Or, does moving heavy things make strong people?

My answer? Who cares. Start lifting heavy things and we’ll hit the chicken and the egg with one stone.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

1/24/14 WOD

Complete the following for time:
30 KB Swings (70/53)
20 Burpees
10 HSPU
5 Muscle Ups
15 KB Swings
10 Burpees
5 HSPU
1 Muscle Ups