“Good Workout”

“Ooo, this looks like a good workout.”

I’ve said it. You’ve said it. Neither of us have a clue what we are talking about, however.  The meaningless statement above would be a bit more true (in reference to the day’s workout) if it read, “I really like this one.” The idea that any one workout is better than another doesn’t exactly follow, at least with respects to general physical preparedness (GPP).

Whether you like it or not, it’s critical to train all variations of efforts. Actually, one could argue that especially if you don’t like the workout, it’s critical that you train it.

Show me the athlete that shops around for “good workouts” and I’ll show you the athlete with the biggest holes in their game. We all like those hearty training sessions that allow us to get all sweaty, feel strong, and go fast. Well, if that’s a “good workout” then when will you get better at the slow, intentional lifts. At what point in your chase for good workouts, will you challenge you coordination or flexibility. Given the above description for a “good workout” were true, we’d all be missing some capacity on single movement strength days and highly complex skill work days.

Follow me? It’s perfectly OK to like certain workouts and dislike others, but at the end of the day they all are critical. Here’s a hint..

None of us are going to get fit today. We are going to get fit over a lifetime. So, keep showing up, even if it’s not a “good workout.”

Logan Gelbrich

———————-

Friday’s Workout:

4 Rds (R,L,R,L)
20 KB Swing (53/35)
15 KB Clean
10 KB Push Press
200m Run

**Athletes must complete each movement unbroken

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *