Athlete See, Athlete Do

Though I’ve made similar reference to this before, the idea that we constantly mimicking those around us shouldn’t be forgotten. Maybe I’m a severe case, but, for me, “mimicking” or “emulation” is one of the easiest ways to learn. I can draw well if I’ve seen it drawn before. Am I an artist? Heck no. Why do I do that big chest up, open mouth rolling start on my olympic lifts? Well, I do it because I saw Natalie Wolfolk do it in college, and she was the best weightlifter I’d ever seen, of course.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m as big of an advocate as anyone for style and originality. I don’t walk around trying to be like someone (or everyone) else, and neither should you.

Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 11.05.09 AM

Desmond starts to mimic Emily.

It’s worth reminding ourselves, however, that the habits we take on, both good and bad, are often a product of our surroundings. Why do you move the way you do? Is your outfit inspired by someone else? I’m sure you’ve seen it somewhere.

It gets scary to think that the same is true about our bad habits, though, isn’t it? Where did you learn that posture from? Surely, you’d look different if you were one in a billion without your shoulders back and down and a neutral pelvis? Do you think you’d still smoke if you were the only person in North America to do so?

These are interesting thoughts worth mulling over, in my opinion. Naturally, they begin to as the question, “Who is around you?” Who are you emulating? I’m lucky enough to have to watch at the most concentrated atmosphere of positive, driven men and women on a daily basis that I can find.

Thank you.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

10/31/13 WOD

Complete the following for time:
10 Toes to Bar
15 Box Jumps (30/24)
20 Wall Balls (20/14)
25 Burpees
400m Run
25 Burpees
20 Wall Balls