I Didn’t Pay for That

Since diving into nutrition and performance, I’ve become a stickler for labels. Anyone who played our 8-week lifestyle challenge, The Route 56 Challenge, can relate to the let down that common packaged foods have become. Almost without fail our packaged foods contain more than we set out to purchase in the first place.

Take something as straight forward as dried cranberries, for example. The Ocean Spray brand of dried cranberries includes dried cranberries, of course, but they are also generous enough to include a substantial helping of cane sugar free of charge. So much so that they might legally be forced to list sugar as the first ingredient on their label claim.

Real food please!

What about something as tried and true as peanut butter? Sounds simple enough.. peanuts mashed into butter right? Nope. The Skippy brand is also willing to give away other ingredients with their peanut butter free of charge. Check out what goes into plain ‘ole peanut butter:

Roasted Peanuts, Corn Syrup Solids, Sugar, Soy Protein, Salt, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Cottonseed, Soybean and Rapeseed) to Prevent Separation, Mono and Diglycerides, Minerals (Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferric Orthophosphate, Copper Sulfate), Vitamins (Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid).

Thanks for that, Skippy. However, I’d rather not come within 15 feet of hydrogenated vegetables oils (the Babe Ruth of Omega 6), corn syrup and sugar (the Lebron James’ of insulin abuse), or anything fortified with folic acid (the Elvis Presely of calcium leeching). I would rather just buy peanut butter, please.

So, on behalf of myself and other who just want what we paid for, I’d like to return whatever it is that you’ve concocted, and I’d like to exchange it for food. There’s no need to dangle a carrot of limitless shelf life and sugary sweetness in front of us to win us over as customers. We are smarter than that.

Thanks, guys.

Logan Gelbrich

———————-

Thursday’s Workout:

3 x 5 Pause Front Squats

Then:

3 Rounds for time:
1 min Arch Hold
1 min Hollow Hold
25 Prisoner Squats

*Rounds start on the 4 minute mark

Leave a Reply