Faux Affirmations

Intentions, goals, and even a positive affirmations can go a long way. At FFOTB, we believe in this stuff, too. So much so that we’ve got a page on our website devoted to students’ goals. We even held a goal setting seminar. In addition, I blab on and on about positive self talk and attitude.

Yes, this stuff is often what’s standing between folks and their best performances.

Yes, I believe the mind is first and foremost in our training.

Yes, I think mastering this stuff (mantras, intentions, etc) means mastering your LIFE.

However, there’s one small caveat to these great tools. This small caveat has massive consequences, too. That caveat? You’ve got to mean it. When you write down your goals or deliver a positive affirmation, it doesn’t matter if everyone from here to Shanghai thinks you mean it or thinks that you’re capable of it. Only you know if you mean it and that’s all that matters.

Red Black Gym sighting in Calif.

I see folks guilty of faux affirmations all the time. They play the game. They say things and hope. Unfortunately, hope doesn’t do so hot in a world of competition.  For some, their biggest fear may be actually being responsible for cashing in on their goals or mantras. If saying you want a goal just feels good to say it.. it’s not enough. If the words coming out of your mouth are, “I am powerful,” but you don’t believe it, then it doesn’t matter if I agree with you or not because until you believe it.. you aren’t.

My intention isn’t to discourage your affirmations and self talk. My intention is to call your bluff. Say it. Mean it.

Logan Gelbrich

———————-

Tuesday’s Workout:

AMRAP 4
2, 4, 6, 8.. Clean & Jerks (155/105)
10 Mountain Climbers
-Rest 4 min-
AMRAP 4
2, 4, 6, 8.. Clean & Jerks (135/95)
8 Mountain Climbers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *