Rocket Science

There is a long list of things that I am not skilled at. I was thinking about some of these things the other day and I started concocting a plan to get better at them. Without thinking much about it, I walked into the gym and began to work on a few of these things.

I simply just went and did the exact thing I am referring to. After this remarkably short session of skill work, I felt much better about these things. I moved forward just a bit on my skill. After a few more weeks, I have moved a little farther. I am nowhere near where I would like to be, but I can tell you that I am closer, and to be honest it calms my mind about the whole thing.

I will go ahead and throw myself right under the bus on this one. I am not able to do a free standing pistol (one legged squat). I was not able to do this two years ago, and I still cannot do this today.

Why? Well, I have been in the gym a whole lot since then. There clearly has been enough time. I know how to mobilize, and have all of the equipment. I have even taught the pistol as a skill in class multiple times since then.

When it comes right down to it, this thing that we do is not rocket science. All that you have to do is do. I have not been doing the thing. And, so till this day, I still cannot do a pistol. Well, this will not be the case much longer.

If you are not happy with your skill on a movement, let’s practice. I can use a partner. If we do a little bit each day, we can all get there. But as long as we don’t do the pistols in our lives, these things will remain unconquered which isn’t doing anyone any good.

What are the things that you want to do? These things don’t all have to be in the gym. It is just an easy parallel to draw. Let someone know, they may just help you get there.

Danny Lesslie

@dannylesslie

5/6/14 WOD

8-8-8
Barbell Lunges

6 Rounds:
In 90 seconds..
Run 200m Run
8 Box Jumps (30/24)
Max Distance OH Walking Lunges (45/25)
-Rest :90-