Covering Ground with an Unreachable Standard

At Functional Fitness on the Bluffs, no one walks away with an A+.. ever.  No one. Even when Danny or I take class, the coach will make some observation from which we are to consider and improve upon. Our students then, even the advanced ones, are met with constant critique and homework to improve upon.

I’ll never forget an instance over a year ago when Danny was coaching a class I took with a ton of body weight squats. He was on me to stand all the way up on each rep, and without hesitation I complied without a challenge of his authority. It was Melanie’s second class, and we both noticed her face. She was amazed that my “good” wasn’t good enough. Danny wanted my best. He wanted the standard. And, that’s what I was held to.

If you come here each day as a coachable student, you’ll walk away with a wealth of information. If you’re just looking for a place to get a tough workout in, you be leaving much of the value that we provide on the table. The good news is that this never goes away. General Physical Preparedness (GPP) is something that doesn’t get mastered. There’s too much to learn and too much left in the tank for any one of us to think we’re done getting feedback and critique. 

Bluffs tee on the Joe Rogan show? Meh. Presidential Debate? No we’re talking..

The same is true for FFOTB as an entity. This program will constantly evolve to attempt be perfect, all the while we’ll fail and get better nonetheless. It will do so on purpose, too. We are racking our brains daily to create the best possible program to grow fitness. So, in the same way that our students will never master fitness, our school will never be complete. I guarantee there will be remarkable improvement to enjoy along the way.

That being said, don’t let seemingly unreachable expectations discourage you. Rather, embrace the chase and use it as fuel to drive you. You’ll be amazed at what ground you can cover when your “good” isn’t good enough.

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Monday’s Workout:

AMRAP 12
1,2,3,4,5…
Hang Power Snatch (95/65)
Burpees

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *