The Standard is High… We Know

We are so nitpicky around here. It can be a bit much, I know, but there’s good reason. We like to define clear standards for our training for a few different reasons, actually.

First and foremost, we want you to be safe. We didn’t come up with this stuff, it’s just how the bodies we all got were meant to move. Secondly, our movement standards have performance in mind. Our joint ranges of motion are what they are and we build better athletes when we train the entirety of those ranges of motion. And lastly, movement standards give meaning to all the things that we keep track of, which allows you to

grow a measurable fitness.

Jennifer D. knows quality push ups.

For example, you may remember from the infamous “Push Up Rant” all the botched standards of the push up (i.e. pelvic tilt, chest to floor, elbows locked out at the top, etc). Those standards keep you safe. Internally rotated shoulders during the push up can yield improper loading and injury. Those standards also train an entire range of motion. If you can stick your hands out in front of you with locked out arms, you might as well be strong through that entire movement than cut your push ups short at the top. And, lastly if I do “Murph,” I’d sure like to know what the heck I did for the last 60 minutes of hell. Missed reps over the course of 200 push ups leaves me with a meaningless score, so next time I do “Murph” might as well be the first time. Push ups aren’t snowflakes. Make them look the same.

Before this blog sounds exactly like the rant I’ve already posted about, I’d like to point out that we realize that these standards are high. We also realize that we are rigid in maintaining those standards in our athletes. To be honest, I understand why 99 out of 100 push ups done on Earth aren’t legit. I understand why 99 out of 100 pull ups and squats aren’t legit either.

I can’t expect everyone to care about the sanctity of these standards as much as I do, but that doesn’t mean we’ll give up the standard. You see, not only are we implementing rigid standards for safety, performance, and measurability, we are teaching you a lesson.

Think back on your life and all the instances where there was some sort of standard. That right, the book report in 3rd grade counts. We can also include the expectations of your first girlfriend. The standards set forth by every boss you’ve ever had also count.

Now, in every one of those circumstances, I’d bet that if the standards that you set for yourself exceeded the standards set by your superior that those relationships worked without a hitch. In situations where your standards were lower, you probably ran into some trouble. Whether you got the A on the book report or not, whether you ever got in an argument with your girlfriend or not, or whether you were your boss’ favorite associate or not doesn’t matter.

You need not be perfect in this world. However, if you continue to expect more out of yourself than others expect out of you, you’ll always be OK, regardless of the details of your performance.

Logan Gelbrich

———————

Thursday’s Workout:

Complete 10 rounds for time:

4 Broad Jumps

3 Hang Power Cleans (115/85)

2 Front Squats

1 Push Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *