Plan B: My Specialty

Notorious for not planning, I’ve successfully lived my entire life flying around the world without ever making an air plane reservation. I’ve had flights arranged for me through work and what not, but the fact that my mom is a flight attendant for United Airlines has afforded me the world’s best perk: Free standby travel!

Flying standby basically allowed me to grab a seat on any United Airlines flight that had an open seat. Since there’s no way to know if the plane will be sold out or not a month in advance, I basically traveled without ever really creating a hard fast plan. What a better fit for my “in the moment” worldview?

No gym? No problem.

To be honest, I’ve begun to use the worldview that things will “work out” as a crutch. The plan was my enemy. I feel comfortable in the unknown. I’d say it boarders arrogance, the way that I perceive my ability to just “figure it out.”

Well, Lindsey’s sister is getting married this weekend in New Braunfels, TX and since Lindsey is a rockstar planner, I was encouraged to actually purchase our plane tickets in advance. No rolling of the dice this time! For the first time, I locked myself in ahead of time for an appointment with an airplane. AH! And, it felt so responsible of me and grown up.

Just when thing couldn’t be more written in stone, the universe sent me an email yesterday at 5:21 PM that could potentially could change my world forever. Of course, the first thing it would change is my flight reservation. So, here I am trying to calculate the extra fees and hundreds of dollars it will cost me to change my very first real flight reservation. It’s a humbling moment of injustice if you ask me.

Despite stepping out on a limb towards planning and preparation, life threw me one of it’s famous curve balls. Except, I’m not walking away from this one saying, “SEE! I was right! What’s the point in planning when we have no control anyway?”

In practice, I think the answer lies somewhere between MY perspective and the Type-A-Color-Coded-Highlighter-Pocket-Callander style of life. For those of you like me that rest easy with an unplanned and unprepared future, maybe we can benefit from some of the convenience of forethought and scheduling. For those of you that are of the opposite perspective, there’s plenty to gain in trusting yourself in the unknown.

Think about this..

If you’re willing to do whatever it takes, then logic says you’ll always find a way. That’s powerful. Find comfort in that. And, always be ready to do as my college coach, Rich Hill, always quoted (slightly in the wrong order) “Adapt, improvise, and overcome.”

Plan B… here we go!

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Wednesday’s Workout:

“Battery Work”

EMOM 10
Even: 4 Candle Sticks
Odd: 5 Snatch Balance

Then complete the following for time:
1000m Run
75 Push Press (45#)
50 Walking Lunges