How to Guide: The Complex Made Simple

You know when you get a question that is so massive that you wish you could respond with, “How much time do you got?” I got that one yesterday. The question? “How do you reduce complexity in your teaching/ideas? How do you practice reducing complexity to simplify?” I felt like my response was sufficient and useful enough to share with y’all. Here it is:

Hey!

You’ve got a sage question here with complexity. There’s irony in the simplicity of asking it I think, which is kind of cool, too. I think articulating complex ideas simply is earned. Consider the classic model:

Simple —> Complex —> Simple

Running, for example… it’s simple. Ask any child. “Uh, it’s easy.. I’ll show you.” (Runs across the yard.) To understand running, however, would take a deep dive into it on a movement level, anatomy, physiology, training, physical therapies, cadences, gaits, common faults, cues, coaches of lore, etc. At this level, running is quite complex. With mastery, however, it becomes simple again (and inclusive of the aforementioned complexity). 

The way to simplicity is through complexity. We need dominion and perspective of the complex to see it and articulate it simply, I think. If there’s a subject you’re not there yet with, we’ll say “it has you” rather than “you have it”. In that case, you’re in the middle of the trees and can’t see the forest. 

I hope that helps. 

Logan

I think there’s a lesson in there for us all. The way out is always through

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

NOTES:

Daily Coaching Video 

Submit Your Score to the Digital Whiteboard

5/2/20 WOD

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

10 Bent Over I-Raise

15 Bent Over Y-Raise