The Shadow of the Total Human Effort

Often I’m talking about this thing I call the total human effort. I’ve written about it, and not just once. Furthermore, anytime I get handed a microphone to speak to a group of people it’s my topic of choice. To put it simply, the total human effort is the vehicle to our peak expression. It provides a chance at meeting your best self.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the total human effort is usually characterized by the more challenging of two paths, it demands that you beyond your current ability, and all it takes is a relentless re-doubling of your commitment to the process. It’s grueling.

While I talk about all this take-the-road-least-traveled drama, I rarely talk about what’s on the other side of the total human effort. Well, here it is. On the other side of this utilitarian drive towards excellence is compassion. The “human” side of the total human effort recognizes the struggle and accepts your effort regardless of your results.

I like to put this compassion on the other side of the effort for good reason. It keeps us honest, in my opinion. Give the effort, then you can accept the compassion. Much less gets done if the order is reversed.

To all you hard chargers out there. I see you. Keep charging, but don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve earned all the compassion you can wrap your hands around.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

12/5/17 WOD

With a 20 minute running clock:

(Minutes 0-5)

3 Rounds:

5 Muscle Ups

5 Hang Power Snatches (95/65)

(5-10 Minutes)

3 Rounds:

5 HSPU

8 Hang Power Cleans (95/65)