Lost in Freedom

Just the other day I was having a conversation about freedom.  With the recent loss of my dog Diesel, I have found myself lost in the freedom of not having to be responsible for a dog.  What was once  a semi-rigid schedule of dog walks and “taking the dog out” trips back to the house, is now a much more open schedule.  I don’t have the same responsibility any more.  I don’t need to be home 2 or 3 times throughout the day. Hell, I don’t even need to go home at all if I don’t want.

For the past 5 years of my life, every decision I made was indirectly related to what Diesel was doing, or what needed to be done for him.  I am not saying this because it was a burden, because it was definitely a welcomed reality.  Actually, it was a very grounding responsibility, of which I am ever-so thankful for.  But, now… what now?

What am I to do with this time?

FFOTB’s Endurance Program begins Nov. 4th

This conversation sparked a desire to relate this “lost” feeling to other areas of my life.  And, being “lost” began to take on a whole new meaning.  The person I was talking to at the time just so happens is a very skilled painter. In my opinion, painting for a living is an incredible career, but I’d also assume it is susceptible to the same lost feeling of overwhelming freedom that I’m experiencing now.

Well, this career is what she loves to do and she is doing it to her fullest. In that way, to be lost in what you love, isn’t really like being lost at all.  I truly admire and envy this, and God Bless her for going for it.  We need more people with this drive and desire. I mean, is there a better way to live than totally immersed in your passion?

When you love something, you just do.  You don’t have to give a list of 14 bullet points why.  You don’t ask permission.  You just do.  And, the reasons are too numerous to count.

In my life, I love what I do.  I laugh some days, when I reflect on it.  Not that there isn’t focus or direction in what goes on, but I enjoy every piece of it.  Sometimes I get that same “lost” feeling.  There is a freedom that is out there in the things that you love, whatever they may be. It may be a relationship, it may be a pet, it may be a career, or it may be a hobby. I would bear to say that the more time you spend lost in that freedom, the more fulfilling your life will be.

What are the things in your life that you love?  Make a list of them.  Spend your time there.  Spend all your time there.  If you live one day or a hundred years, your time will be rich and fulfilling, because we aren’t here forever.

Losing Diesel has made me want to make my life ever so simple.  I aspire to be “lost in the freedom” every single day.  Cheers to those that lead a simple, yet happy existence.  Do what you love.  Spend time with those you love.  Because… well, just because.

Lets all go get “lost.”

Danny Lesslie

——————

Friday’s Workout:

With a partner, complete the following for reps:

AMRAP 10 min
5 Depth Pushups
5 KB SDHP

Rest 5 min

AMRAP 10
150M Sprint
15 KB Swings