“OK! Together everyone.. and 5 more now!”

Not realizing that us coaches don’t participate in class while we coach, a woman interested in our program recently lauded another fitness program she took part in because the trainer “ran the whole time with [them] so [she] couldn’t complain.” She thought it was really cool. I, too, have seen other fitness trainers take this role, commonly seen in spin classes.

Could you imagine how class would go if your coach did the workout with you in our program?

Rather than using a coaches participation as a selling point, I’d like to argue that in such instances that either A) coaching quality is poor, B) the training doesn’t require a coach in the first place, or C) the user is paying for a cheerleader/motivator/drill sergeant. The reality I am beginning to paint couldn’t be further from the experience at FFOTB.

A coach at work.

Why?

A coach’s role in our program is to teach and maximize the efforts and performance in his/her students. There are tangible skills that are to be learned and a coach who is trying to get a workout in while coaching isn’t effective. Anyone can be a cheerleader or a rabbit in a race. Coaching is a duty that takes planning, knowledge, skill, and commnication. At Functional Fitness on the Bluffs, we’d like to have a focused effort.

Us coaches do practice what we preach, however. We train in class when we are off duty. We don’t  just believe this what’s best for you, we believe it’s best for us, too. We’d just like to keep the coaching job separate.

Logan Gelbrich

————————-

Tuesday’s Workout:

6 rounds for time:
12 Front Squats (135/95)
24 Lateral Jumps
Max Distance Triple Broad Jump
-Rest 2 min-

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *