What’s Left for Negotiation Loses

You’ve heard the policy turned figure of speech, “We don’t negotiate with terrorists.” Well, not to be dramatic, but we all have a terrorist inside of us. Our psychology is polarizing and complex. Our strengths have shadows. The lines between our good and our evil (yes, you have evil inside of you) are much thinner than we’d like to admit. If you don’t want to believe me, I’m sure Dr. Zimbardo can talk you into it. 

While I’m not wanting to sound derogatory, you (and I) have parts of our brains that we ought to not get in a debate with because they represent the worst in us. Our “terrorist” in this case is the part of our psychology that wants to make a deal to undermine your noble efforts to do the right thing. This is often the hard thing. 

In the same way that the US military doesn’t “negotiate with terrorists” because it sets a precedent for more terrorist activity, we cannot entertain negotiations with our lower selves even when it comes to training. Hell, especially when it comes to training.

How should you implement this strategy, you ask?

Decide what’s non-negotiable now. Decide without bringing these “terrorists” to the table, too. They don’t get a vote in the brainstorming process. What is left for negotiation with your lower self will often become the bottom-line reality, so you can choose where to draw lines in the sand. For example, you can declare that you will move four days a week. In a week that begins to turn to a negotiation because of fatigue schedule changes, or an injury, you may not do the prescribed training but you’ll fall to the non-negotiable: four days of movement. 

Knowing that what gets negotiated too often goes in favor of our lower self, “terrorist” self, be discerning at what isn’t up for discussion. Proceed. 

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

NOTES:

Daily Coaching Video

Submit Your Score to the Digital Whiteboard

4/18/20 WOD

Shoulder Prep Series:
Complete 2 rounds for quality of:
15 Prone I-Raise
15 Prone Y-Raise
15 Prone T-Raise
15 Prone W-Raise  

Then, complete 2 rounds for quality of:
12 Pushup to Downward Dog
:60 Isometric Glute Bridge Hold 12 Single Leg Glute Bridge (ea)

Then, complete 4 rounds of:

30 3-position Dynamic Squats (10 narrow, 10 regular, 10 wide)

30  3-position 1/4 Squat Pulses (10 narrow, 10 regular, 10 wide)

30 Lateral Skier Jumps (ea)
-Rest :60-

Then complete 4 rounds of:
30 3-position Dynamic Pushups (10 narrow, 10 regular, 10 wide)
30 3-position 1/4 Pushup Pulses (10 narrow, 10 regular, 10 wide)
30 3-level Push Ups (10 foot elevated, 10 regular, 10 chest elevated)
-Rest :60-