Get a Career, Get Neck Tattoos

Lindsey has a cool sticker on our printer at home that has a big red “X” through a stick figure sitting at a desk with the caption, “No Desk Job.” I recently posted a picture of it to social media because it reminded me of a deal I made with myself when I was young that I’d never make a resumé.

Resumes aren’t bad. I just had goals for “work” that made it such that if I was relying on a resume to get a job, I wasn’t doing what I should be doing. It made for a fun, back door-type of goal. It’s worked, too. Zero resumés and I’m not homeless.

My favorite example of a goal like this isn’t my example, however. Drummer, Travis Barker, is known almost as much for his tattoos as he is his music and his brand, Stars and Straps. He’s covered from head to toe in ink.

When probed about what started his quest into body art, his answer shocked a lot of people. Mr. Barker purposely tattooed his entire body so he had to make it as a drummer. With as much ink as he got, he’d have to find a way to make his goal as a musician or he’d be forced to drive a trash truck.

His wager on himself worked out pretty well, don’t you think? Are there things you could do to force yourself into success? Success, after all, isn’t for the timid.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

5/29/15 WOD

Complete 6 rounds for quality of:
1 Wall Walk
10 Alternating Pistols
50’ Bear Crawl
50’ Crab Walk

Then, complete 4 rounds for load of the following complex:
1 Push Press
1 Push Jerk
1 Split Jerk