Barbell Perspective

Perspective is everything, isn’t it? I love the ebb and flow of perspective, especially when it comes to strength and conditioning. Different views can get us in the gym to work hard. They can turn the lackluster into the leader in the pack. Yet, perspective can burst even the most positive outlook’s bubble.

Sometimes there’s a drive and a hunger behind wanting to be better. Other times the feeling of needing to be better can be unmotivating. Conversely, sometimes one we can validate the hard work just by knowing that you’re the best/strongest/fittest person you know. Other times being the fittest within your bubble can be un-motivating and boring.

Paradise or hell on Earth?

Paradise or hell on Earth?

It’s just a matter of perspective, isn’t it?

Every time I start to get complacent, for example, I just remind myself of the teenagers in Russia that squat 200 pounds more than I can. Or, I remember that there are young girls in Sweden than clean and jerk what my max is.

Today we’ve got some hang power cleans in the training session. So, for a matter of perspective, I figured I share the gem of a video above. This guy can power clean 400lbs, too. I’ve seen prettier lifts, but this one counts, as well. And, simply to add another dimension of perspective, this guy power cleans 400, but as a cherry on top, he also jerks it.

Perspective can be a huge asset. I watch these videos and get motivated. If you’re perspective is such that you’d rather quit than think of how incredibly far off a 400 pound power clean is for you, then change your perspective. Maybe it’s time to look at how far you’ve come.

Did you know that less than 1% of the human population will ever touch a barbell in their entire lifespan?

See what I did there?

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

1/9/14 WOD

3-3-3-3-3-3-3
Hang Power Clean

Complete 4 rounds for time:
9 Hang Power Cleans (135/95)
9 Burpees