Transcend & Include Your Career

There is common, yet important, language in the adult development and positive psychology arenas that describes evolution as a process of transcending and including our previous iterations. As we earn new capacities we, of course, transcend our old abilities, but it’s important to note that we also include our past selves, as well.

One of my students in the Business Prep 101 course took the time to share a moment in his past that shook him. It’s also a moment that supported the developmental language I often share above. The student, who is now a successful entrepreneur and coach of an international seminar, used to be a firefighter. His area fire chief gave him the following insight:

“If I ask a firefighter who he is – he will tell me what he does.  He will respond that he is a firemen and nothing else. You need to understand, that being a firefighter is what you do, not who you are. If you are serious about this journey, include your past as a firefighter in your next evolution of who you are, but grow past that or you will never be anything more than who you are today, right now.”

Reflect on how this lands on you.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

5/6/19 WOD

Complete 3 rounds for quality:

5 Deck Squats

10 High Box Step Ups

10 AB Rollouts

EMOM 15

Minute 1: 8/10 Cals Bike

Minute 2: 10/12 WB (20/24)

Minute 3: 10/15 Push Ups