Resolution Proof

A friend of mine in the performance world made a great comment just before the New Year that struck me. The gym that he trains at in Austin, TX is notorious for mentally and physically crippling training sessions designed to build capacity for soldiers, including special forces operators and specialty law enforcement units.

What he said on New Year’s Eve was: “[I’m] 99.9 % certain our gym Atomic Athlete won’t be crowded tomorrow with trend seekers because our way is not the easy way.” And, it really struck me. His words were commentary on the phenomenon around the New Year where folks head out in droves with good intentions of exercising more for the year, but often have trouble sticking to it.

Pick up heavy things in 2013 - #FakeGym

Pick up heavy things in 2013 – #FakeGym

If you’ve been to class recently, you probably haven’t noticed dozens of new students chasing the New Year’s Resolution dream. And, though our program isn’t exactly like Atomic Athlete’s program, I do believe we share this new-year’s-resolution-resistant trait with them.

Real tangible lifestyle attributes like strength, endurance, quality body composition, and favorable blood work are the result of a sustained committed effort. Showing up each day to pursue these things is, by nature, beyond a flash in the pan effort. If you’re looking to make some changes in your life, you surely could begin at the start of the new year, but you’ve got to hang on after the honeymoon phase like everyone else to accomplish your goals.

Logan Gelbrich

———————-

Thursday’s Workout:

Complete the following for time:
100 Burpees

**Every minute on the minute perform 1 Clean and Jerk (155/105)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *