Core Values Installment #8: Integrity

This is the last installment of the Core Values of FFOTB.  When we constructed these, integrity was the first, and the most important of these values. I went in reverse order hoping that readership would be most elevated by the time integrity, our most valued principle, came to the blog.

Lean.

Integrity runs exactly parallel with solid character. Decisions that are made with integrity are decisions that are made with honesty and truthfulness at their core. A person that operates with integrity holds these values close.
There is a quote that embodies this very well, from a man that was the last of the “Five Good Emperors” of the Roman Empire.  Marcus Aurelius was a leader that earned the respect of those around him by leading a life of integrity, not a life of tyranny and oppression over those he ruled. After all it is 2012, and he ruled from 161 AD to 180 AD, so its been a few years, and he is still talked about. These are his words…
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”
In fact, the movie Gladiator highlights his rule. Here is the scene:
Now this is a movie, but the allegiance to a man of integrity is unquestionable. I can only imagine what it was like in real life. To have a person like this in your life is a gift, to be a person like this is even more special. There are attributes to be applauded, and I truly believe integrity is at the top of this list.
Integrity can be applied to your training, as well. Integrity in training looks like doing every rep in a workout, completing full range of motion on reps, and recording correct weights. I believe Marcus Aurelius would have locked out his elbows and touched his chest on every pushup. A similar but different example of this is losing track of rep in your head during a workout. Say, for example, you are not sure whether you have done 46 or 47. Acting with integrity would look a lot like taking 46 rather than the easy route of 47. As a coach I have seen both take place. Of course, I think it’s clear which we prefer. What is right, however, is sometimes different.
Have integrity in your training. After all, it is your body. This is a place where honesty lives. ‘The Nation’ is a place with integrity in its every fiber.
#Truth
Danny Lesslie
——————–
Thursday’s Workout:
4 rounds:
Every five minutes complete the following for time:
40 Squats
400m run

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *