Pounds: Strong Overnight

In an effort to mimic much better (sports) coaches than I, it is rare that I single folks out. Most of the time, I find that a coach’s words are best left for the ideas and the plan. There are exceptions, however. Making an example out of someone’s acts of extreme greatness and extreme disappointment does have it’s time and place. Today is one of those exceptions.

Leading ladies.

Nikki Pounds, as many of you know, has been a die hard student with us for a long time. She’s literally been a member since the first workout we did April12, 2011. That makes her the longest standing member. Today she did something that was (seemingly) impossible just weeks ago. Her power clean personal best (85lbs), was replaced with a new personal best. She power cleaned 95 pounds today… 45 times!

Incredible!

Not everyone can relate to Nikki’s exact journey, but everyone can relate to wanting results, wanting them now, and dealing with frustration along the way. Nikki’s incredible growth as a student has come just like it has for most other students. Slow and steady, yet remarkable. This process is often too slow to notice. Looking at oneself in the mirror everyday, it’s difficult to see where all this hard work is going. Lord knows how diligent Nikki has been training 4-5 times per week. She may check to see which class that day will have the most sunshine, but she will be there, nonetheless.

Nikki’s strength didn’t come over night, but boy did it come! Her performance today is a huge victory in her journey to elite fitness, and it’s larger than she knows. You all will experience this victories, and I encourage you to have your awareness high enough to notice them. Celebrate them! This road is long and it’s often difficult to see progress and have patients.

Next time you move from knee push ups to toe push ups, recognize that changes in your fitness that support that. Cut a minute off your baseline time? That’s called being “better than yesterday.” When you make that jump up to the next size kettlebell, throw a little party, because there’s no looking back to your old, less-fit self. You earned it!

Nikki, congratulations on what you accomplished today, it’s nothing short of incredible. You’re a force to be reckoned with and it’s a joy watching you grow.

Logan Gelbrich

——————-

Saturday’s Workout:

2 minutes Max Sit Ups

Then with a partner:

AMRAP 2
Alt Pushups (A-1,3,5…/B-2,4,6..)
Run 200M
-Rest 2 min-
AMRAP 2
Alt Pushups (A-1,3,5../B-2,4,6..)
Run 200M