Mad Scientist

Like science? Whether you do or you don’t, you’re participating in an experiment every time you step out onto the bluff with us. I was actually just talking about this the other day with a great mentor of mine, Andy Petranek, owner of CrossFit LA.  We were talking about the power of  the founder of CrossFit, Greg Glassman’s, idea to turn workouts into science experiments, and laughed wondering how we didn’t think of it ourselves.

Whether your are training CrossFit or not this concept has value. I’m paraphrasing, but Andy joked about telling folks, “I don’t care what it is. Just measure it. Do bosu ball sit ups for all I care, just time it, count it, whatever.” In a similar light, there’s a brilliant quote that goes something like, “If you don’t measure it, you can’t improve it.”

A bike transition on the bluff?!

Our training, then, is an opportunity to improve. It’s an opportunity to improve the world’s most important test subject: YOU! We often harp on the idea of training journals, and logging your workouts.

If you don’t have a workout log, or you can’t recite your FFOTB baseline or your one rep max deadlift, you’re making a critical mistake in your training. Knowing what you were capable of last week or last month is important when it comes time to improve upon that performance.

It doesn’t stop there, either. Have you ever monitored nutrition with training performance? Sleep? If you’re training wasn’t quantified you couldn’t even if you wanted to. Luckily, here it is!

Become a mad scientist about your training. I’d love to see students notice how they perform on 7 hours of sleep verses 10. The answers to your post workout nutrition routine are just an experiment away, as well.

It’s time to get in the lab, ‘Nation.’

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Wednesday’s Workout:

Battery Work 10
Even: 6 Hang Power Cleans (70% 1RM)
Odd: 10 Sec L (or Chair Sit)

AMRAP 10
Run 1000m
50 KB Swings
50 Squats
Max Burpee Broad Jumps