“In Praise of Slowness”

As someone who lives at top end speed all too often, I picked up a couple books the other day to grab ahold of one of my favorite pastimes again; reading. One of the books I picked up is Carl Honore’s In Praise of Slowness,” and though I can’t tell you if it’s good or not quite yet (I’m only a few chapters in), I can say it’s very relevant.

Nikki going overhead.

I’ve got five (yes, five) email accounts, two businesses, and quite an ability to complain about time.. or lack thereof. I think you all can relate. I am as guilty as anyone could be, but I think it’s time that I choose to slow down and take control of my life. Until then, I’ll be that guy that complains about things he makes no effort to change, and we all can’t stand that guy.

Everyone is different, however. Do you find that life tends to move too fast? Do deadlines call the shots in your life? Or, are you someone that needs a kick in the butt sometimes? If you’re a sucker for peaks and valleys of motivation, maybe you need to turn up the burners and speed things up!

Generally people need reminders to do one or the other. “Slow down!” Or, “Get aggressive and go!” The key isn’t in perfecting your pace, it’s in knowing your tendencies to sway too far one way or the other. My hitting coach in college asked each hitter on the first day of Fall Camp if they, in general, performed best if they made an effort to be calm before an at bat, or if they got pumped up. Neither was right or wrong, but in order to perform at a high level we had to cue ourselves. I personally needed to calm myself down– excitement wasn’t a problem for me.

Are you one that needs to pay attention to life getting too fast to control? Or, are you someone that needs to get motivated and push the pedal to the metal?

Logan Gelbrich

——————

Wednesday’s Workout:

4 rounds:

AMRAP 2

200m Run

20 Situps

Max Deadlifts (155/85)

-Rest 2 min-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *