Featured Student: Melanie Segal

[Functional Fitness on the Bluffs will begin to feature its very best product, the student body, regularly. We are a community, and we’d like to share that community. Look our for these student features to get an idea of the diversity of our exceptional group– you may even learn something new about a classmate!]

Name: Melanie Segal
Hometown: LA

1. What is your fitness background?

I go in phases. I like to hike, run, bike, spin, pilates, personal train, and FFOTB now. Just started exercising after 3 years of spine surgery/recovery/physical therapy.

2. How long have you been training at FFOTB? How does FFOTB compare to other places you’ve trained?

Started FFOTB this month, and I can not compare it to any of my other training. It is challenging in a super good way, I laugh a lot and sweat a lot. I even look forward to it, and kinda miss it on Sundays! There is NO comparison. Seriously. I am too uncoordinated and old for sports but FFOTB is functional for more than fitness, it has a free ocean view, and not one but three watchful, knowledgeable and inspirational trainers ensuring mindfulness, proper form and alignment and physical and verbal abuse 6 days a week!

Melanie: Strong Woman!

3. What has been your most memorable experience so far?
did you catch me and Tyler doing the over/under in some kinda crawl?

4. Favorite Movement:
When Danny read us the fine print under the asterisk.

5. Least Favorite Movement:
When Danny read us the fine print under the asterisk.

5. Favorite memorable FFOTB quote:

When Dr. Lindz-Bomb said, “If you can’t feel it anymore, go to the ER.”

6. What are your short term goals? Long term?

My short-term goal is to get my physical therapist on board to let me go 6 days. My long term goals are to keep my fitness fun and community based and be able to keep doing it on top of my injury, without further injury and to be strong, flexible and mindful enough to never have to worry about the injury again.

7. Lastly, what’s an interesting fact we may not know about you?

I would say ask Hello Kitty, but she doesn’t have a mouth…

———————-

Thursday’s Workout:

“Hands on. Hands off.”
For time:
30 KB Cleans
30 Sit Ups
30 KB Swings
30 Push Ups
30 KB OH Walking Lunges
30 Mountain Climbers (2 count)
30 KB Thursters
30 Russian Twists
30 KB Goblet Squats
30 Inverted Burpees

1 Comment

• You’re a joy to have, Melanie. I love the way you show up. If you find a way to continually get here with an open mind, I trust that you will find you’re capable of more than you ever could have imagined (injury or not)!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *