Standards: Having Them & Exceeding Them

**BRING A FRIEND WEEK** 

We’ve got standards.You probably do, too. Coaches have standards. Teachers, parents, college admission committees, the FDA, and even the guy working the ferris wheel (“You must be THIS tall!”) have standards.

M. Segal: Standard Police

How do your standards stack up? A better question, is how does your performance (at work, in school, in the gym, etc) stack up? We are almost always in situations where a certain level of performance or a certain type of behavior is expected of us. Sometimes it’s more loose, and other times is more obvious and strict.  If one’s performance or behavior doesn’t meet the standard, trouble arises. Trouble can come in many forms, including but not limited to reprimand, demotion, or other penalty depending on the situation.

Missing the mark is part of life. And, don’t you forget it! There are some things, however, that we can do to avoid unnecessary pitfalls of performance. As a coach, I’ve always tell my students and athletes to set their standards higher than that of their superiors. With that approach you can’t go wrong. Where there is a disparity between what will suffice in your world and what will suffice in your boss’s world, there is also trouble.

Look for places where you’re expecting less than the powers that be around you. If to you, a project need not be “buttoned up” with references and analytics, you had better hope your boss feels the same way. If in your world, push ups are as deep as it feels difficult to go, when the standard is “chest to deck,” problems arise. If you’re someone that likes to turn leaders into “drill sergeants” of accountability, you may be more susceptible to this problem. Rather than leaning on external motivation, I’d encourage you to raise the bar for your own expectations.

Having and exceeding standards is important practice. They are important even if you don’t always agree with them, too. Honoring them is quality practice time. It means learning respect and integrity. It’s mental strength, as well as physical.

Logan Gelbrich

——————-

Thursday’s Workout:

“Tabata Face Off”
Tabata Squats
Tabata KB Cleans

** (Athletes complete each interval facing his/her “opponent”)

AMRAP 10
15 Lateral Jumps
10 KB Swings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *