The Checklist

I read a great book some time ago called The Checklist Manifesto written by ultra-successful surgeon, Atul Gawande. It’s benefit is worth noting, and I’d recommend it to anyone.

Not Type-A? The benefits of this book are still invaluable, regardless of your profession or personality type.

In Gawande’s world, errors mean loss of life. This realization sent him in search of a way to do his work better, which led him to a simple solution: the checklist. His consequences are remarkably high for minor slip ups, but I think we all can benefit from getting more done, and doing it efficiently. Nearly every significant task, from landing a fighter jet on an aircraft carrier to building a skyscraper, is executed with the aid of a checklist. Regardless of the operator’s level of expertise, he/she is prone to human error. Checklists provide structure and accountability.

Gym with a view? Check!

For me, I understand the power of the checklist, but have since let my efforts unravel a bit. Each week I set three very specific goals, with very specific consequences for not completing them. Recently, I’ve slipped up on my productivity. Outside of the obvious excuses of a scattered schedule and lack of time, I noticed I haven’t stuck with my checklist strategy that I instilled after completing The Checklist Manifesto.

Recently I haven’t been getting to the 7th or 8th important task of the day because in my mind I could make it unimportant. I used to start each day with a checklist, written by hand. It even came complete with little boxes to check off. Somewhere along the line, the checklists were made less and less often and my productivity dipped as a result.

This week, I’m back to it! And, I’m already having the thrill of checking things of the list. Look at your checklist as a road map to completing the things you want to do in your life. There isn’t a task that is to small.

And, if you’re a tech lover. Try Evernote! It’s a ultra-functional app that can sync from your computer, phone, or any place you can get internet access!

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Tuesday’s Workout:

“Chelsea” on the Bluffs
Every minute on the minute for 30 minutes perform:
5 KB Swing
10 Pushups
15 Squats

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *