Why Fish Oil?

*The Route 56 Challenge: Day 54*

Have you ever wondered what the big deal with fish oil is? Chances are you know it’s good for you, but why take it? How should it make you feel?

The gist is you’ve probably got a whole lot of Omega 6 and not as much Omega 3 in you. Each is a fatty acid with key function in your cells. Omega 6 facilitates inflammation (think swollen sprained ankle), while Omega 3 takes on the anti-inflammatory role.

Maintaining a proper balance between Omega 6 and Omega 3 is important stuff, because with a surplus of Omega 6, you’re left exposed to chronic inflammation and numerous diseases of civilization (SEE: cancer, arthritis, auto-immunity, etc). Keep in mind, dietary choices are paramount in controlling this ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3. Processed foods and grains are a gold mine for Omega 6, while green things like grass and seaweed are quality sources of Omega 3.

Attention to detail with Ashley and Danny.

As a nation, we’ve sure got the diet of processed foods and grains thing down. And, since we can’t really eat grass and seaweed too well, we’d normally let animals do that for us, and eating them would cover our Omega 3 basses, if you will. The problem is, we’ve taken grass and seaweed away from the animals we eat and we cram Omega 6 rich foods down our throats.

Enter the need for fish oil..

Omega 3 supplementation is an unfortunate need for us all in our modern world. Don’t expect to feel instant nirvana upon dosing, however. This type of supplementation is a subtle, but essential piece of proper nutrition. Expect results that include limiting chances of chronic disease, increased recovery, cognitive benefits, and more!

Convinced? If so, now you’ll need to choose a product. Keeping in mind uptake and bioavailability are a top priority (or why else would you be taking it?), capsules are often a place to hide low quality, rancid fish oil. So, I’d recommend a liquid fish oil with high concentrations of EPA & DHA with no added soy and/or artificial sweeteners (because that stuff’ll kill ya!). I’d, of course, recommend ORIGINAL Nutritionals‘ fish oil which is sold in our Pro Shop and it’s my company– Shocker!

Say it with me now: FISH OIL!…FISH OIL!…FISH OIL!

Logan Gelbrich

———————–

Thursday’s Workout:

10 rounds:
5 Squat Clean Thrusters (95/65)
40 Yard Dash

-Rest 30 seconds-

**Score: Fastest and Slowest Time

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

[googleapps domain=”docs” dir=”spreadsheet/embeddedform” query=”formkey=dHE1MmlZMXJ4UWdwa1pYdW00aTVOZlE6MQ” width=”760″ height=”1073″ /]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *