DEUCE Community Inc Receives Non-Profit Status

On December 3 2018, I received an email from a young man in Texas that would end up changing my life. The line that stuck out was: 

“I used to be a heroin addict and did ten years in prison, during which time I slowly transformed myself, starting with exercise.”

I get emails from hungry strength and conditioning coaches from around the world often. They’re often curious about what we do and they’re almost as curious about how to work here. Unbeknownst to these motivated prospects is that the reason why DEUCE is interesting to them in the first place is because we don’t just hire people who send emails. We give them responsibility and observe. Most are unwilling to do what it takes to earn a job. 

Unbeknownst to me, the gentleman who sent the email I’m referencing above was a diamond in the rough. He proceeded to do everything I asked of him and more. He even failed to mention some parts to me, including:

• He wrote, “What are you doing today to get to Los Angeles?” on his bathroom mirror. 
  • He attacked his work for a local fitness non-profit such that if they ever opened a Los Angeles-based branch, they’d have to tab him for the role.
  • He tattooed the DEUCE diamond-two logo across his entire forearm. 
  • He spent nearly all of his hard earned money on a $1150 ticket to my seminar in Scottsdale, AZ risking his relationship in the process. 

The gentleman’s name who wrote the email that changed my life? Campbell Lillard

Yes, it was Coach Campbell afternoon coach, DEUCE Gymnastics coach, and full-time staff member extraordinaire. Based on his lived experience and his vision, we’ve been building something behind the scenes I’m excited to tell you about. 

Last year we started bootstrapping a non-profit organization that serves system, substance, and housing impacted individuals. After nearly a year of bureaucracy, we’ve finally received our 501(c)3 non-profit status for DEUCE Community Inc!

With various partnerships and program initiatives we’re able to:

• Offer three (3) strength and conditioning classes per week to those with 48-hours of sobriety each week
  • Offer business and coaches development education in several correctional facilities
  • Training programs at Homeboy Industries and Amity Foundation
  • Paid internships for highly vetted, motivated individuals

The stories (which we will continue to share with you) will make you laugh, cry, jump for joy, and beam with pride. That’s been my experience. After doing this out of our own pockets, we need your help! 

Will you consider helping our mission? DETAILS.

5/13/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

3-3-3-3
Pin Press

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

6 Weighted Pull-Ups
12 Seated Dumbbell Presses

Then, AMRAP 10

12 DB Alternating DB Muscle Snatches (50/35)
6 Renegade Rows
10 DB Cleans

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

1-1-1-1-1
High Hang Power Clean

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

4-8 Strict HSPU
4-6 Dragon Flags
4 Forward roll to pistol 

Then complete 3 rounds for time:

3 Power Cleans (185/125)
6 Front Squats