Sugar: A Modern American Diet Assessment

In a time of our lives where it seems our health is brought up in conversation on a daily basis, I find it poignant to have a quick chat about what we put in our body from a food standpoint. No this is not a Ted Talk on any specific diet or eating regiment but rather a closer look at one of the prevailing problems with our modern food consumption. That problem is SUGAR. But don’t get it twisted, the problem is not that sugar itself is bad but rather our relationship with sugar that needs some serious consideration.

I will preface all of this by stating that I am not a registered dietician and one of my favorite food groups is donuts. However, I understand the science of how food is processed in our body and I’ve done more than enough research on the topic for you to at least hang with me for a few more paragraphs. So, bear with me and read these words with the assumption that you may not be aware of everything I’m about to share.

In a recent podcast I was listening to with Mark Hyman, a highly respected doctor in the field of health and nutrition, he stated that studies have shown the average American consumes 152 pounds of sugar and 146 pounds of flour that converts to sugar in the body every year. I couldn’t really believe that those numbers were real but folks, he was not lying. Those numbers are real and without the added flour that all breaks down to about three pounds of sugar a week. That’s a lot… especially when the body can only really handle about 35 grams for adult males and 25 grams for adult females per day.

So, what does this mean? Well sugar is used for energy in our body but when we exceed the small amount that our body requires the rest of it gets converted to glycogen and stored as fat in the liver and throughout the body. Repeat this excess of consumption on a daily basis and the body will continually store fat causing a laundry list of health issues from diabetes to coronary heart disease. Not to mention a decreased ability to fight off infections and viruses.

All this being said, I am not trying to bring shame or judgement upon any of us but rather highlight an ever-present issue amongst the people in this country and the people around us. Plain and simple we eat too much sugar and often it is unknowingly. For example, if something says fat free then you can bet there is added sugar to make it taste good. Take a quick glance at the food items in your local grocery store and you will see that most of them are littered with some form of sugar.

What I am absolutely NOT recommending is you swear off eating all forms of sugar. Things like fruit have a ton of beneficial nutrients in them other than just sugar and you should enjoy that Thanksgiving pumpkin pie without feeling guilty. I just want to encourage you to take responsibility for what you are putting in your body and be conscientious about how much sugar you are consuming daily.

Healthier bodies lead to healthier minds and I think that is something we could all benefit from.

12/10/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 Deadlift
15 lat Pulldown

Then, EMOM 14

14 Alternating DB Snatches(50/35)
6 Lateral Burpees

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

5-5-5
Front Squats

Then, complete 4 rounds for quality of: