The 1986 Mets’ Plane Debacle

After the New York Mets won one of the most dramatic games in Major League Baseball history during the World Series in Houston, the team took an infamous celebratory flight back to New York. To make a longer Rated-R story short, the plane was trashed after a full-on ruckus from take off to landing. 

The rumors of the total damage vary, but United Airlines, who chartered the flight, came down on the organization with a hefty fine. The Mets ownership passed this onto the players and coaches.

In a meeting with the players before the 1986 World Series, the Mets manager, Davey Johnson, reportedly said something like, “The organization says we have to come up with the money to pay for the damages. I’m just the messenger here, gentlemen.” As Mets legends like Mookie Wilson began to protest, Johnson continued by explaining, “Fuck ‘em! We’re going to win a goddamn World Series and make them a lot more money!”

The team erupted in celebration. Naturally, the ‘86 Mets would go on to win the World Series, making more than enough extra funds to cover the cost of the damaged airplane. 

While this isn’t a piece to advocate for damaging property and illicit party behavior, it is a recognition of a culture of intensity and a relentless ability to win. Every special organization that I’ve been a part of has been extreme about its results. These groups absolutely get after it and that’s a mentality that is expressed in lots of ways, including how they celebrate their hard work. Said differently, losers don’t party hard on the plane. If you party on the plane and lose, you’re just an asshole. 

Most managers I had at one point or another offered, “If you want to dance, you’ve got to pay the fiddler.” 

The 1986 Mets did both. I’d recommend you do both, as well.

9/24/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

4 Pin Front Squat (4x1x)
10 Evil Wheel (4x1x)

Then, AMRAP 8

2-4-6…
Pull Ups
1-2-3…
25 foot Quadruped Crawl

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

​​4 Barbell Back Squat
8 DB RDL

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:

8 Lateral Step Up (ea)
12 Med Ball Leg Curl

Then, complete 4 rounds for quality of:

12 Tempo Deadbug (ea)
:45 Bear Breathing Hold

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

5-5-3-3-1-1-1
Sumo Deadlift 

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:

30 Goblet Lateral Skaters
20 Wall Leaning Single Leg Calf Raise (ea)

Then, AMRAP 8

2 Bar Muscle Ups
4 Lateral Burpees Over Bar
6 Deadlifts (185/135)