Paradigm Shift

Did you know that up until 1954, there was actually something that everyone in the world agreed on? I know that seems crazy but it’s true, everyone in the world including acclaimed scientists and physicians believed that it was humanly impossible to run a mile in under 4 minutes. Everyone except a man by the name of Roger Bannister.

Now science back in the 50’s isn’t what it is now but people really thought the body would collapse under the pressure that it would need to sustain to run a mile in under 4 minutes. But Sir Roger, a college runner at Oxford during this time, decided to create his own training regimen that consisted of LESS running and MORE rest. Long story short on May 6th, 1954 Roger Bannister ran a record mile time in 3:59.4… in the rain no less.

I encourage you to do a quick google search on our guy Sir Roger because his story is a remarkable one littered with incredible moments of perseverance, however, that is not my point in telling you this story. I tell you this story to bring forth the idea of a PARADIGM SHIFT.

A paradigm shift is when an event occurs that changes the way we think and act as we move forward throughout our lives. Because the beauty of this record breaking run is not in the accomplishment itself but rather in what soon followed. You see once Bannister proved to the world that a sub-4 minute mile could be achieved, runners started breaking the 4-minute mark like it was going out of style. In fact, 46 days later Australian John Landy eclipsed Bannister’s time to claim the new world record. The major difference… everyone now believed it was possible.

This true tale of the 4-minute mile should inspire you to look at your own life and the things you believe can’t be accomplished. Sometimes it takes a Roger Bannister to show us things are possible but I want to encourage you rather to be the one who causes a paradigm shift in other people’s lives. Because after all, there is no way a thriving seven figure gym/business could come from some kettlebells and medicine balls out on a patch of grass right?

Be the change. Cause the shift.

9/14/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

4 Back Squat (4,0,1,0)
10 Medball Seated Chest Pass

Then, complete the following for time:

2 rounds:
5 Front Squats (135/95)
6 Box Jumps

Then,
20-15-10
Pull Ups
*1 Bull Run

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 8 rounds for quality of: 

20 Alt. High Knees + 3 Box Jump (for height)
-Rest :60-

Then, EMOM 10 
:10 sprint

Then, complete 2 rounds of the following for time:

800m Run
-5 min rest-

Then, complete 2 rounds for quality of:

:60 High Plank
-rest :15-
Max High Plank

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

3-3-3-3-3