One Up the Competition with Rep Equality

While it might be wishful thinking to completely eradicate the human tendency to orient ourselves via comparison to others, maybe we can use those lingering parts of us that want to compete and one-up our peers for good. You see, if even 1% of you cares to improve more, do more, and accomplish more in the gym than others, I’ve got a trick for you. 

The positive intent behind the trick, of course, is that if you do it, you will improve more so than if you didn’t do it. And, as your coach.. that’s my job. 

Here’s the trick. Begin to treat all reps as equal opportunities for refinement. 

The simple (but not easy) offering will immediately increase the volume of efforts that drive positive adaptation to how you move and, ultimately, your performance. Why is this a thing, you ask?

This is a trick because of the simple fact that most everyone is “leaking” performance or dropping learning opportunities for repetitions that we do without attention to detail. Classically, the most common reps are those with the empty barbell. Often other, lighter reps in the process of warming up are disregarded, as well, but for the sake of our conversation I’d offer that if you approached your empty bar reps with the same routine and moved with the same consideration that you move heavy “working” sets with, you’d build significant, noticeable patterns that will surpass that of your peers. 

Just the other day I offered the 4:30pm GPP class in Venice the idea that all high level human performances are supported by routines that bring more certainty of a positive outcome to an uncertain scenario. (SEE: any ball players pre-free throw routine.)

If you want to get better faster than most every athlete in the gym, treat all your reps equally. Build a routine. Bring attention to areas that others lack attention in.

8/26/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS

Complete 5 rounds for quality of:

5 Floor Press
8 Bent Over DB Row

Then, AMRAP 15

6 Manmkaers(50/35)
10 DB Box Step-ups(Total)

DEUCE BACKLOT

EMOM 5
12 Alt. Skips for height

Then, complete 5 rounds for quality of: