Maybe: A Quick Story to Give You Hope

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically.

“Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed.

“Maybe,” replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy for what they called his “misfortune.”

“Maybe,” answered the farmer. 

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.

“Maybe,” said the farmer.

_______

I tell you this story to illustrate the very real nature of our world. There are few things that we can truly control in our life but a critical one is our ENERGY. Our energy is how we show up, whether it be at the gym or at home or at the Whole Foods parking lot at 11am on a Sunday. Energy is so important because it controls not only our own attitude but also the attitude of everyone around us.

It is so easy to look at the news and the state of our world and become discouraged or saddened. But I am here to tell you that no one knows what this tumultuous time will bring for them and their life. Maybe that heart-wrenching break up leads you to find new love. Maybe that COVID illness helps you find a new life of health and fitness. Who knows? What I do know is that I’ve personally seen some amazing moments and accomplishments come from being locked down and socially distanced.

This life is not always roses and butterflies but we never know what’s around the corner. Bring that good energy as much as you can and like my college coach loved to say, “Control the controllables.”

Keep your head up and keep going.

8/16/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS

Complete 6 Rounds every 2:00 of the following:

2 Power Clean

Then, EMOM 12

1: 12 OH KB Reverse Lunges
2: 6 Weighted Pull-ups
3: 10 Double KB Swings(53/35)

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

3-3-3-3
Front Squat