A Case for Wholeness

“Complexity” has its connotations, doesn’t it? The word has a twinge of burdensomeness. Nonetheless, we are remarkably complex. Part of the reason for this complexity is that we go through many seasons of life and accumulate unique experiences such that we cannot simply be reduced to one simple thing. 

This, of course, begins to suppose that we have many parts. Without awareness and integration of these parts, we can exist in what Dr. Laing would call the Divided Self. This is where our parts remain separate and dissociated from perception of self. The statement, “I’m not that guy anymore,” is a less wholesome expression than “I was that guy then and I am this guy now,” for example. 

This case for wholeness can be painful, especially when integrating our parts that seem less flattering or worthy of celebration.

You have many parts. Make no mistake about that. There is a great deal of resistance and pain to bear, though, when we aren’t willing or able to integrate parts of us that we wish we didn’t have. 

If and when we are integrated wholeness, we have a chance to feel the freedom of being accepted in full. The thought of knowing that even parts of us that we previously disliked or were seemingly broken are a part of our whole self can do wonders for most adults. After all, is there a more freeing concept than that which proves we are perfect and complete creatures?

8/12/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS

Complete 5 Rounds of the Following: 

6 Bench Press
12 Single Arm Bent Over Rows(Each)

Then, EMOM 12

1: 5 Back Squats
2: 30 Double Unders
3: 8 Body Saws

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

EMOM 8

E: 3 Power Clean