OPINION: Make a Career on Unforced Errors

I find that there are two types of successful ping pong players. Player #1 tries to score points with power and fancy spin on the ball. These highly skilled players hope to trick and/or overpower their opponent to score. Player #2 is the player that simply returns the ball to the other side of the net — no spin, no over-the-top power, nothing fancy. 

It’s obvious how the first player scores points, but it’s important to note that the second type of player also scores points. The second type of player scores points by unforced error. 

It’s a strategy whose greatest asset is consistency

With enough consistency, this strategy takes advantage of the eventual errors made by the opponent. And, the reason I’m sharing this with you is that the vast majority of the population prefers to be Player #1. The vast majority of the population will quit, make consequential errors, or both. This fact seals the valuable nature of consistency. 

The case for consistency is strong, folks. And, I think you’d be surprised at how far you can get by putting the ball in play, so to speak, while others spike and wane in motivation and attention to detail. Can I also add that it takes almost no skill to be consistent? 

Proceed.

7/22/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

EMOM 12

A: 2 Banded Speed Deadlift
B: 4 Box Jump (AHAP)

Complete 4 rounds, each for max reps:

AMRAP :90
2 Sandbag Loads (AHAP)
1 Corner Run
Max Pullups
-Rest 3m-