Passport of Movement: The Overhead Squat:

I once went to a physical therapy office for an assessment. I performed a series of tasks that all served as data for the doctor of physical therapy to gain a greater understanding of my body, potential imbalances, and areas to address with therapy. 

Part of the assessment was performing an overhead squat, which I respected. In my opinion, there might not be a better singular assessment of a body’s ability to function. After all, performing the overhead squat expresses comprehensive knee, hip, and ankle health. It specifically illustrates strength, stability, and flexibility both locally and globally. It’s also a remarkable display of total body strength. The overhead squat also checks for thoracic spine mobility as well as strength, flexibility, and stability of the shoulder joint. 

The overhead squat is a double edged sword. On one hand it is troubling for many new movers who lack one or more of the elements above, but, on the other hand, it does prove to be a passport to comprehensive movement freedom for those who earn competency in it. 

As for the trip to the physical therapist office. They cleared me after seeing me perform a well above average overhead squat. You might not have desires or goals specific to the overhead squat, but I’m here to tell you that whatever your goals are, they will benefit from you having a better overhead squat.

1/22/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

[Meet at Pan Pacific Park]

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

Make 3 attempts of the following for distance:
Max Broad Jump

5-5-5-5-5
Snatch Balance

3-3-2-2
Overhead Squat