RIDDLE: Something anyone can do and almost no one will

In a world where everyone on some level is extremely interested in increasing their perceived value to the world, it could feel harder than ever to stand above the rest. You’d think with so many folks aiming at the same goal that there wouldn’t be any stones left to unturn that would bring unique value to one’s personal brand. 

Well, there is and I’m here to share it with you. 

There are some essential criteria these strategies must meet in order for you to have full control over this attempt to stand above the rest. Let me explain. Firstly, if you want to guarantee your increase in value, it must mean that you always can control for it. Second, if you want to stand above the rest so to speak, you’ll need to do things that others won’t. 

Here’s a baseball example. On a ground ball hit in the infield with no runners on base, the catcher is free to leave his position at home and run down the first base line to “back up” first base for an errant throw from an infielder. 

It perfectly meets the criteria above. As a catcher, it was always in my control. I could freely do this regardless of age, skill level, contract details, etc. Second, because there is so little relevance for this back up effort to matter it’s almost never done everytime by the catcher and no one is the wiser because, well, it almost never matters. (It may be too soon to mention the Dodgers just lost a World Series Game because of a pitcher’s critical failure to do this very act, which doesn’t matter until it does.)

Life presents millions of opportunities like this one. What are the little things in your control that can set you above the rest? If, in fact, you care about your perceived value, look closer to home. The less glamorous, easy to do (but seldom done) acts are likely the stones left turning. 

I’ll tell you this. I sprinted like hell every single time to back up first. Literally, thousands of efforts because I should (and I could). The number of  times I was able to receive an errant throw is sobering. Any guesses?

One.

Is it worth it? Thousands of “wasted” efforts for one that mattered. Not if your goal is to stand out. Because, the better question to ask is, “How many other catchers were willing to do the same?” The answer? 

None.

10/28/20 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

[Meet at Pan Pacific Park]

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

EMOM 6
1 Deadlift Against Mini Bands

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
5 3-Way DB Goblet Lunge Complex (ea)
15 Jump Squats