One Step Guide: How to Never Give Up a Home Run Ever Again

If anyone has Tyler Glasnow’s email address, please forward this to him. It’s a bonafide, fool-proof guide to never give up a home run ever again (like he did earlier this week to the Dodgers’ Cody Bellinger). Not a pitcher, yourself? Don’t worry. As always, this article is for you, too. The message is universal. 

While you might not be a pitcher yourself, you can imagine the heartache (and embarrassment) of giving your best effort to make a great pitch only to have a guy turn it around and park the ball 450 feet away, complete with a bat flip, and fancy trot around the bases. It doesn’t feel good. 

Well, at least professionals like Glasnow have some mental skills and experience to go with their athleticism. With young players, though, it’s not always the case. I know it was true for me at a young age. In fact, I remember giving up an occasional home run, which broke my heart and sometimes resulted in some tears to which my dad gave me the advice I’m giving you here today. 

“Son, you want to know how to never give up another home run ever again?” he’d say. 

My eyes would light up with curiosity. Of course, I did! In fact, that was exactly what I was thinking. “How do I never feel this way ever again?” I thought to myself. So, I answered him, “Yes.”

“The only way is to quit pitching.”

Message sent. Message received. If it feels corny, fine. It isn’t wrong, though. Dissatisfaction is part of the gig, folks. No matter what your “gig” is, there will be missteps. You’re in the arena. That means you’re going to screw it up, so let’s get on with it. 

Keep going.

10/23/20 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

[Meet at Pan Pacific Park]

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
8-12 Ring Dips
10 DB 3-Way Raises
15 PVC Hollow Rocks

Then, in 18 minutes, complete the following for reps: