Redundancy Dept. Resists Change

I once had a local man rant at me about rising rents and a changing business landscape in Venice Beach. He assumed I was an out of towner who moved to his beach and was changing the “real” Venice into some other hipster abomination variation. He didn’t realize I was born in Santa Monica and have been here my whole life. Where I was from didn’t matter to me, but it surely mattered to me. 

“Take your $500 sunglasses somewhere else, man,” he said.  When I told him I didn’t own any, he scoffed, “It’s just tough when you see the neighborhood shortcut become a traffic jam and not recognize half of the businesses in town.”

I get it.

The mistake here, in my opinion, isn’t about not liking traffic or unfamiliar people and places, but rather the mistake is being disturbed by change. His position and positions like his are based on a false premise. It assumes there is such a thing as “the way things ought to be”. His specific position doesn’t take into account the times when Venice was oil fields and then beach bungalows for the Hollywood elite and then a gang land and the several other iterations therein. 

This isn’t a conversation about neighborhood gentrification, but rather a conversation about our relationship with change. If you want to battle with change, good luck. You’re signing yourself up for a lifetime of frustration. Preventing change is a role of redundancy. 

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

NOTES:

Daily Coaching Video 

Submit Your Score to the Digital Whiteboard

5/3/20 WOD

Complete 4 rounds for quality of: 

30 Towel Superman

36 Towel Situp w Rotation

:60 V-Sit hold

Then, complete 5 rounds of: 

Table-Top Glute Series