Total Immersion Learning

The figure of speech “sink or swim” is what comes to mind when I think of rich learning experiences. The imagery is sharp, isn’t it? When you hear me say one is “in the deep end”, it’s almost as if you can personify the message with legs eggbeatering to tread water just enough to grasp for air. 

This is learning by immersion. 

The richest learning experiences force an immediacy for learning. Focus, after all, is the dial for the rate of learning. More focus, more intense learning. This is why distance, hands-off learning experiences that lack skin-in-the-game can fall flat. 

I was talking with Coach Lacey, who is learning a new language, a few days ago. I shared with her a story of one Spaniard’s experience learning English for the first time. The youngman attended one of the early Hold the Standard Summits and told me that he completely immersed himself in English with results unlike I’ve never heard. At the time, he accepted an internship in the United States and told his father that he’d only be calling home once per week and he’d limit the calls to just ten minutes. He wanted a cold-turkey-exposure to English with no Spanish language safety net. It was ripping the band-aid off version of language learning. 

This was learning a language in the deep end, “sink or swim”. 

I was floored at his impressively expedited learning experience. He said by the tenth day his dreams were in English! How’s that for learning intensity?

Logan Gelbrich  

@functionalcoach

NOTES:

Daily Coaching Video

Submit Your Score to the Digital Whiteboard

4/23/20 WOD

Trunk Stability Progression:

Progressive Stability Work:

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

10 Wall Pressing Tempo Straight Leg Dead Bugs (Left)

10 Wall Pressing Tempo Straight Leg Dead Bugs (Right)

6 Candle Stick Negatives 

Then, complete 3 rounds for reps of:

AMRAP 3

30 Air Squats

20 Hand Release Push Ups

10 Tuck Jumps

Max Burpees

-Rest 1 min-