5 High Schools, No Agency

I grew up with a kid whose dad played in the NFL. In fact, he was one of the best athletes I knew. At a young age, he was a standout in multiple sports. His athletic career came to an unceremonious end in high school, however. 

You can’t say he didn’t try, though. He transferred four times to ultimately attend five high schools. 

All the coaches either were idiots, hated him, or both. If you’d ask him today, he’d tell you he should have made it, but got snubbed by these coaches. While sports analyst, Jim Rome, would sarcastically quote his own sarcastic bit in response by saying, “You know who high school coaches hate? Future pros..”, I’d offer that my friend’s story is a specific representation of a general lesson for us all. Here it is:

Other people, life events, acts of God, and pure randomness can absolutely alter our path. The lesson is that we all have some control in our plight and most of us give far more attention and power to that which we cannot control and far too little to that which we can. My friend gave all his agency away to five different high school coaches. Even if he was right (which he most differently wasn’t), he’d still be a victim to their coaching decisions. If instead he asked the question, “What of this poor coach/athlete relationship is my responsibility?” he may have had a different athletics result and definitely would have a different perception of who is in charge of his life. The result? You have a young man who is an alleged expert in the shortcomings of five unimportant high school football coaches and a bonafide amateur in understanding his own. 

Having problems with someone or something? Focus internally before you look externally. 

Logan Gelbrich 

@functionalcoach

3/6/20 WOD

Spend 15 minutes on muscle up skills:

8x 4-8 Muscle Up Dynamic Transitions 

4x 10-15 Hips to Rings 

EMOM 10

10 Unbroken Hang Power Snatches (65/45)

Then, AMRAP 8

8 Snatches (135/95)

12 Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups

200m Plate Run (45/25)