Trending now: Technicians

The other day I got hung up on the word arbitrary.

I know that’s weird, but stay with me. I started questioning the upside (if any) of random examples. Like, when would intentionally using something generic be more useful than something specific? Isn’t the intent of an example to rein in (not out) on the information at play?

That snowballed into thinking about how we make sense of things using deductive versus inductive reasoning. A quick refresher: deductive reasoning refers to drawing specific conclusions from general observations, while inductive reasoning refers to deriving generalizations from specific observations. (Don’t worry, I Google’d it to remember the difference, too.)

The relevance of this? Well, in a culture saturated with maxims, expressions of general truths or principles – ones like Early bird gets the worm, Start before you’re ready, Easier said than done, etc. – I observe the functionality of such expressions as similar to “show muscles” in lieu of “go muscles”… And, for what?

Is there benefit to learning things deductively, from broad to specific application? Absolutely. But I encourage you to audit the “lessons” you regularly consume (as opposed to experience) and the way in which you predominantly make sense of them as you pursue improvement in whatever it is you’re trying to improve in.

Well articulated philosophy is easy on the eyes and ears, but the merit in having your hands in the dirt speaks for itself. I’d like to leave you with exactly what Juan Guadarrama, our incredible DEUCE Program Director and my Coach’s Prep mentor, tells me all the time: “Be a technician.”

Kimmy Moss

@kimmy.moss

PS – The DEUCE Breath & Exposure Seminar meets tomorrow at 9am – ENROLL NOW!

2/7/20 WOD

On the 2:30 for 6 sets complete the following:

1 High Hang Power Clean

1 High Hang Squat Clean

1 Hang Squat Clean (Above the Knee)

1 Squat Clean

Then, complete 3 rounds for reps of:

In :90..

12/10 Assault Bike Calories

Max Burpees

-Rest 3:00-