On Diets

I’ve never been on a diet. Often, however, I chose to eat some things while I choose specifically to not eat other things. But, I’ll never go on a diet.

Diets, by definition these days, are failures. Their entire context is neither real nor engaging in an active participant kind of way. Choosing to eat something to adhere to a diet simply because you’re on a diet rather than because you want to, for your own good, is and always will be temporary. There is no life in that.

Don’t get me wrong. My nutrition habits are far from a free for all. Quite the contrary. I’ve tried experiments with myself that include and exclude very specific foods, which sounds a lot like being on a diet. It’s not.

I’ve tried avoiding all fruit and nuts. I’ve had a period of not eating nightshades only to later reintroduce them and note the results. I’ve increased raw milk volume. I’ve weighed and measured my food. I’ve intermittent fasted. I’ve strictly avoided all processed foods, grains, dairy, legumes, and sugar. Ketosis? I’ve been there. I’ve systematically finished my day with as much sugar, donuts, treats, and deserts three days a week for six weeks, too.

But, go on a diet. No way!

You know now that I think about it, I’ve done a lot of things with my eating habits that people call diets. What’s the difference, you ask?

(In my mind,) it’s everything.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

6/11/14 WOD

Pull Up Skill Work

AMRAP 12
1,2,3,4,5… Sandbag Get Ups (100/65)
2,4,6,8,10… Box Jumps (30/24)