Morning Mobility

Do any of you wake up with aches and pains in the morning? I know that I do. I don’t remember a morning that I didn’t wake up with a tight muscle or a random ache somewhere. Being brutally honest, I am behind the eight ball a touch in the mobility realm of fitness. I would guess that a good majority of you are also in this same boat with me. So that begs the question, what am I going to do about it? And, what are you going to do about it?

Here is an easy addition to your day that can make a giant difference. I would say in the last two weeks I have done some version, however abbreviated, of this a good number of times. These days I feel like a different human all together. Right when I get out of bed, I do general mobility work for a few minutes. For me it is important that it not be a long extensive set of exercises, so I break the body up into three parts to keep it simple. First, I do ten squats and sit in the bottom of a squat for thirty seconds to activate my legs. I do 8-10 rolli pollis for some spinal warm up. Then, I do 8-10 pushups and/or scap pushups. Simple as that.

I would estimate that this takes me 3-5 minutes, even in a morning stumbly stupor. I am not trying to break any records on reps or sets. I do one set of each, and the rep counts are not always the same. The point, however, is to wake up my body before I start my day.

Mobility for me is a chore. I have to be overly diligent to keep it in my schedule. This is one check mark for me in the mobility column, and that’s a huge victory. I know I need a lot more, but this is a start. What are your secret sneaky mobility secrets? I could use some more. Reply in the comments section.

Danny Lesslie

9/5/13 WOD

3-3-3-3-3

Front Squat

Then, complete 4 rounds for reps of:
:30 Plank
Max Pushups

*Rounds start on the two minutes.
**If athlete breaks plank, the round is over.