Raising the Pirate Flag

One of my favorite bits of Apple history is the infamous hoisting of a pirate flag over their company headquarters nearly 30 years ago. The story goes that in the early days of Macintosh, Steve Jobs and his team of rebel ex-Microsoft employees took a rather radical approach to business and it was symbolized with a hoisting of a homemade pirate flag over their headquarters in California in 1983.

The home-made flag featured a rainbow Apple logo for an eye patch.

When I think of the spirit of Functional Fitness on the Bluffs I am reminded of the pioneering efforts by these rogue programmers. Their rebel ideals and unwavering passion laid the foundation for what we now enjoy as Apple, Inc. What many of you may not know is that my first vision of FFOTB and what it would grow to become included a pirate flag of it’s own. 

One day we will own a parcel of land to fly our flag. And though it may be metaphorical today, the idea remains true. We go against the grain, and for damn good reason. It’s my opinion that the fitness industry’s grain is a complete failure. Our foundation is rock solid, however, and it happens to be viewed as radical in the world of fitness.  That’s fine with us, especially when you look at what results we’ve proved to be capable of. So, to borrow the words of Steve Jobs when I ask you:

“Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?” 

Passion.

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Tuesday’s Workout:

100M Sprint every 90 sec X 4

Rest ~ 2 Min

From min 7-8 Max Front Squats (135/95)

Rest ~ 2 Min

100M Sprint every 90 sec X 4

Rest ~ 2 Min

From min 17-18 Max Front Squats (135/95)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *