Breakfast’s Real Reason for Being #1

Yesterday I was thinking about food (shocker), and I began to think about common associations our society has with nutrition. It began when I saw a tweet from Bob Harper, host of The Biggest Loser, that said something like, “I start everyday with a bowl of Quaker oatmeal. Carbs in the morning give me energy to make it through the day.” After rolling my eyes, I got upset at what a statement like that does to the millions of people who look to him as fitness personified.

Bernardin goes overhead.

Comments like that continue to solidify associations like whole grains & hearty energy, red meat & heart disease, and eating fat & weight gain. Not to mention, we all must calculate calories in on an excel spreadsheet, right? Wrong,

It’s unfortunate that a cookie cutter comment like that, sponsored by Quaker, is so engrained in our minds. Most people read the tweet and thought, “Ain’t that the damn truth? Amen, brother!”

Here’s the deal. Breakfast may, in fact, be the most important meal of the day, but for a different reason. The idea that the value breakfast is weighted heavier in your body is bogus. Try eating a hefty bowl of macaroni and cheese for dinner with some garlic bread and a Dr. Pepper. When you wake up feeling hungover you may realize, given the impact of dinner, that you overestimated the importance of breakfast.

Why do I think breakfast is a bit more “important?” Starting the day with shoddy nutrition seems more likely to yield lax nutrition throughout the day. In other words, it’s a lot tougher to turn down the complimentary cookie at lunch if breakfast was Belgian waffles.

Certain behavior begets similar behavior. Set the tone early and eat like a champion– sans Wheaties.

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Wednesday’s Workout:

AMRAP 5
5 KB Snatch
5 Slamballs

Then:
Run 1000m

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *